The consultation is the most important communication tool you'll use.
Thoughtful consultations will result in satisfied clients, less complaints and glowing reviews. They are one of the best salon marketing tools you have.
Here are some top tips for a great salon consultation:
1. Sit at the client's eye level to make it more conversational.
2. Ask permission to touch the client's hair. This builds trust and respect for client's personal space and intimacy.
3. Use client's language, not hairstylist jargon, to make them feel heard and understood.
4. Listen and repeat – this reassures the client that you're on the same page.
5. Use the client's history and technical notes to provide background information.
6. Make professional recommendations, use photos (ie Pinterest), refer to their own personal photos as well.
7. Explain the lifecycle of a haircut, what products will be used and when the client will need to rebook. This effectively “prepares” the client to rebook and buy retail.
In addition to consulting on hair texture, condition, length, and color, here are more questions to ask:
1. What are your AM/PM hair rituals?
2. How much time do you have in the AM/PM for those rituals?
3. What life activities affect your hair/hairstyle? (young children, swimming, travel, outdoors)
4. On a scale from 1-10, how experienced are you at styling your own hair?
5. What tools and styling products do you currently use?
6. What do you like about your hair?
7. What concerns do you have about your hair?
8. Do you have any feedback on your last visit? (if applicable)
9. What do you want to achieve with your hair today?
10. Are you feeling ready for a change? (if applicable)
11. How did you hear about us?
12. How do you feel about the condition of your hair?
13. How would you describe your scalp?
14. How often do you shampoo your hair?
15. How would you like your hair to make you feel?
16. Are you feeling ready for a change?
17. Have you notice your hair is …., we have a xyz treatment for that I recommend which will… Should we add that today?
18. Do you want your hair/colour to whisper shout or scream.